Sunday, December 10, 2006

"I should be able to do it all by myself"

Saturday, December 9, 12:19AM

Being a new mom and caring for a child 24/7 can feel overwhelming...especially with this belief:

"I should be able to do it all by myself."

1. Is it true (the belief from above)?
No. I notice I can’t.

3. How do you react when you think that thought?
I don’t ask for help. I CAN’T ask for help. I make unreasonable expectations of myself. I am disappointed when I don’t meet them. I try to get everything done and it doesn’t get done. I get frustrated. I go to bed angry, and wake up resigned. I refuse offers for help, and then I become a victim and a martyr of whatever needs to be done. I feel totally defeated and kicked in the butt by life.

Can you see a reason to drop that thought? (And please don’t try to drop it.)
yes.

4. Who would you be without the thought?
I would see what I can and can’t do – I would be more realistic. I would allow others to help me. I would probably get more done and feel proud of whatever I accomplish. I would go to bed satisfied. I would outright ask for what I need and I would give honest answers when help is offered. I wouldn’t pretend that I can do everything and that would give me a lot of freedom and more honesty in my life. I like that.

Turn the thought around.
I shouldn’t be able to do it all by myself.
This is true – I notice that I can’t get everything done by myself.

I should be able to do it with the help of others.
Again, this is true. Nothing like stating the obvious...

No comments: