Sunday, December 10, 2006

"I can't do everything I have to do because I don't have enough time."

From Sunday, February 5, 2006 8:16pm - I was really jammed up with school work and up against a deadline...

Belief: I can’t do everything I have to do because I don’t have enough time.

1. Is it true (the belief from above)?
I suppose I could do everything somehow.
I suppose it could be done in the time I have, or even less.
No it is not true.

Possible follow-ups:
What is the reality of it? Did it happen?
It hasn’t even happened yet! But I am sure collecting a lot of evidence for it.

2. Can you absolutely know that it’s true?
Only if I wait and do nothing, then I could say it was true.
But if that happened I would only know that it WAS true, and the jury would still be out on the future.

Possible follow-ups:
Can I know more than God/reality?
Nope. I suppose it is entirely possible for me to get everything done and manage all that there is to manage.

3. How do you react when you think that thought?
I get pissy. I cry. I resist. I kick and scream. I feel in a stupor. I get distracted. I make things extremely hard on myself and on others around me.

I feel tension in my head. In my stomach. In my eyes. My eyes burn, my head gets foggy, my spine gets slouchy and tired, my stomach gets hollow. It feels completely draining and deadening. I feel like I am stuck in concrete up to my neck. I have a headache and my jaw gets tense.

I don’t let Hubby support me, and then he feels powerless. I invalidate other people. I make them work really hard to get me sorted out.

I give myself no room and no space to screw up. I am incredibly hard on myself. In fact, I am impossible on myself. I get really negative. I resist doing anything and then I regret that I didn’t take actions. I am a drama queen, I get cranky, and I really limit myself.

I go down a deep dark tunnel. I lash out at everyone. I start unraveling the whole structure of my life. “I can’t do any of this” “I sold out” “this is all wrong” “this isn’t it” “I’ll never do anything right” “I can’t have what I want” “this sucks” “I don’t want any of this” “I don’t trust myself” “I am not in control of my life”

Can you see a reason to drop that thought? (And please don’t try to drop it.)
Yes. I wouldn’t have all that crap up there.

4. Who would you be without the thought?

Peaceful, present, powerful. A celebration. Magical. Miraculous. I would be someone who amazes myself and others. I would be relieved. I would be energized, alive, vital, creative, and productive.

I would probably get stuff done and have more fun doing it. I would hold myself to a higher level of integrity. I would manage all there is to manage with a lot more power. I would give myself free time. I would take care of and nurture myself and be ruthlessly true to myself. I would probably trust God more and live by the Spirit more.

I would probably be easier on others and I would certainly be more cooperative – part of the team. I wouldn’t worry so much about getting things “right”.

Turn the thought around.
I can do everything I have to do and I don’t have enough time – YES – I can still do it – time has nothing to do with it.

I am able to do it all – yes.

In my thinking, I can’t do everything I have to do – YES, that is most certainly true!

I have enough time – true, I can see that I waste a lot of time thinking I don’t have enough time because I resist everything

It is possible to do everything I have to do and do it in time – yes, I can see that could be truer.

(Note: consequently, after doing this piece, I was able to get all the things done that I was certain I couldn't, and I did it in record time. I even went to bed early - something that was not predictable before I did The Work on it.)

No comments: